Scribble Maps Pro is a free web tool that is great for editing and drawing on top of Google maps. Unlike Google Earth Pro, this site does not require any additional downloads.
[There is also a standard version that doesn't require registration with less features that is an easy way to check out the basic features.]
A toolbar allows you to add to maps by drawing shapes, create place marks, and place text.
Included in the drawing menu are the following features:
- Pen tool - for drawing straight or curved line segments
- Polygon pen tool - for drawing polygons
- Scribble tool - 'free form pen' for doodling
- Line Tool - for drawing straight lines segments only
- Connected line tool - for drawing connected lines (no individual segments)
- Draw shape tool (for drawing irregular shapes)
- Draw rectangles
- Draw Circles
- Place text
- Measurement tool (measures polygons, and lines)
- Markers (a variety of symbols available)
- Image - link images to the map
You can also search for maps that have been created by other registered users.
Once maps are edited, they can be shared with an URL link, exported as an image or KML file.
Classroom Integration Ideas:
Use Scribble maps:
- in Language Arts class by inserting place markers with descriptions on the locations from stories that are read